training & learning
Sight Support Worthing is currently exploring ways to provide learning opportunities to its members and their families. The aim is to create online courses that will teach essential skills, provide in-depth information, guide you through processes or simply enable you to spend some time learning about a fun, new topic.
If you have any suggestions of the sorts of training or learning you would find useful (either as a visually impaired person yourself, or as a family member, friend or carer), please do get in touch.
In the meantime, we have put together some online learning and instructional videos that we think will be of interest to you. Let us know if you have something we can add.
- The RNIB offers ongoing courses including a Living Well with Sight Loss Course
- What does it mean to have a visual impairment?
- The cane explained
- For both fun and practical examples, take a look at Lucy Edwards’ Twitter account where she uses the #howdoesablindgirl hashtag. Lucy, who is blind, shows us how she deals with everyday activities. A great insight for anyone looking for a greater understanding of how to tackle common tasks.
- For young people: find out what you are good at and match it to a job
- Sighted guiding instructional videos includes how to guide someone with a cane, helping someone off the bus, navigating doorways and more
- Apply for a place on Guide Dogs’s half day sighted guiding training course
- Blind Veterans UK offer a week of training for people adjusting to sight loss and wanting to live independently again.
- Learn how to complete the Disability Living Allowance and Carer’s Allowance Forms
- Top 10 tips on how to help a visually impaired child
- The Washing State School for the Blind have many practical videos available on their YouTube channel including How to safely use a stove top and Preparing fruits and vegetables
- Sewing on a button