The Priority Services Register is a free support service to help people in vulnerable situations. Energy suppliers and network operators offer it. Each keeps their own register, although some share with each other.We recommend that people who may be vulnerable or at risk during severe weather should be on a Priority Services Register. Parts of the UK have recently had severe weather – our turn may be coming! Friends and relatives – or us, here at SSW – can assist those who may be in need of a bit of help to register. Each operator can be contacted online or by phone. Power cuts don’t happen very often but if the electricity or water supply network is damaged or develops a fault, engineers work around the clock 24/7 to restore supplies as quickly as is safely possible. Being on a Priority Services Register will ensure that extra support will be received if the customer experiences an outage. Support is likely to include:
- A priority number that you can call 24 hours a day
- Text and voice message alerts, letting you know when they are aware of a large power cut in your area or should your water supply be interrupted
- Tailored support if needed such as home visits, hot meals, advice and keeping your friends and relatives updated
- Where possible they will send you text and voice messages when severe weather is expected, to help you prepare
- In certain scenarios they may also offer a free hotel overnight and transport to the hotel
- For complex power cuts, community welfare teams provide on-site support which includes hot drinks, hot meals, a Wi-Fi connection and charge points.
https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information-consumers/energy-advice-households/getting-extra-help-priority-services-register, and this includes help in finding the suppliers in your area. As various energy suppliers and network operators are active in Sussex, the following are the ones who cover most of the county, but there are some others. If you try to register with the wrong operator they will usually steer you in the right direction. Electricity UK Power Networks – most of the SE of England https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/power-cut/priority-services/about-the-priority-services-registerSSEN – parts of the West of Sussex https://www.ssen.co.uk/PriorityServices/Water Southern Water https://www.southernwater.co.uk/help-advice/join-our-priority-services-registerSouth East Water https://www.southeastwater.co.uk/get-help/help-for-priority-customersThank you for helping to keep Sussex safe.OFGEM has a summary at